- Piano Teacher’s Guide to Creative Composition, by Carol Klose?
- Creative Composition Toolbox series (Levels 1 to 5), by Wynn-Anne Rossi
- Pattern Play series by Forest Kinney (Check out our review of these great books.)
- Check out our Composition ideas that include games and ideas to send them home with their imagination working!
- Jennifer Fink’s Composing and Improv resources at pianimation.com are amazing!
- Susan Paradis’s Composing Worksheets are usually holiday oriented so I love using these at those special times throughout the year!
- Wendy Steven’s at ComposeCreate.com has tons of ideas organized into an Index of Composition Corner Posts.
- Joy Morin at Colorinmypiano.com has many posts on the topic of Composition.
*One that I found while preparing this post that I need to research was “Teaching Music Through Composition: A Curriculum Using Technology” by Barbara Freedman. Looking into this book, I found that she’s geared towards music education in the classroom more than piano lessons but I wonder if the book has ideas that we could use for individual students too… Has anyone checked it out? I’d love to hear how you used it for your students.
Next in the Composition Technology Series : Part 3
Whitney Hawker, NCTM, teaches group and private piano at Weber State University, Utah. She loves surprising students with the perfect piece or a new exciting game! After graduate school, she missed sharing ideas and resources daily with colleagues so she and her friend, Spring, began blogging together at 4DPianoTeaching.com